For the Dumplings:
- 1 c part skim, low moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/3 c fine almond flour
- 1/4 tsp konjac/glucommanan powder
- pinch salt
- 4 tbsp. coconut flour, divided
- 1 large egg
For the Soup:
- 1 3/4 lb (28 oz/ 794 g) cooked and shredded chicken, mixture of white and dark meat
- 3.5 oz (100 g) celery, diced
- 1 3/4 oz (50 g) onion, diced
- 1/2 stick (2 oz/ 57 g) butter
- 2 quarts (64 fl oz/ 1893 ml) chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 c (8 fl oz/ 237 ml) heavy cream
- 2 tsp konjac/glucommanan powder
To make the Dumplings:
- Heat mozzarella in the microwave at 30 second intervals, until completely melted.
- Stir in almond flour, konjac, and half the coconut flour.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Work in the rest of the coconut flour, kneading briefly with your hands to make sure it's well incorporated.
- Roll out on parchment paper, until it's very thin. Between 1/4 and 1/8 of an inch thin. Think about a thin, flat noodle.
- If the dough wants to stick or becomes unpliable, heat in the microwave 15 seconds to reheat the mozzarella, then continue.
- With a pizza cutter, cut long strips, about 1 inch wide. Then cut across, width-wise, in 1 inch strips, to make rough squares.
- Let stand while you're making the soup.
To make the Soup:
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a stock pot or other deep pot.
- Saute the vegetables over medium heat until just tender.
- Add the chicken, stock, and seasonings to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for ten minutes for flavors to meld and develop.
- Once it's done simmering, whisk the konjac/glucommanan into the heavy cream and stir into the soup.
- Turn the heat to high and bring the mixture to a full, rolling boil.
- Once it's boiling hard, drop the dumplings into the soup, being sure to separate them as you go.
- DO NOT STIR. I'm serious!
- Once the dumplings are all in the pot, cook for another two minutes or so at a full boil. If you must agitate the soup, gently use the handles on the side to move the pot in a circular motion.
- Once the two minutes are up, remove from heat, then fish out your bay leaves and discard them.
- Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1/10 recipe
- Calories: 326 cal
- Fat: 20.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.2 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Net Carbs [total carbs - (fiber + sugar alcohol)] : 3.6 g
- Protein: 28.4 g