- 1/3 c powdered heavy cream (see notes for non-dairy options)
- 1/3 c powdered sweetener of your choice (I use powdered Swerve)
- 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, finely ground
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and stir well until it's completely combined and all ingredients are evenly distributed throughout.
- Transfer mixture to a Mason jar or other airtight container and store at room temperature.
To make hot cocoa:
- Heat 6-8 fl ounces (177-237 ml) your favorite unsweetened nut milk or diluted heavy cream to steaming in the microwave or on the stovetop, as desired.
- Stir in 1-2 tbsp of the mix, as desired, until completely dissolved.
- Add a splash of vanilla or peppermint extract, if desired.
Notes: To make this, I used powdered heavy cream in place of powdered milk. I get mine off Amazon and personally like the Hoosier Hill Farms brand. It's clean and reasonably priced, which makes me happy.
When preparing your cup of cocoa, you can use as much or little of the mix as you'd like. I count total carbs, so I tend to go lighter on the mix and stick to 1 tbsp per cup of heated unsweetened coconut milk (the thin stuff from the carton), but my kids like 2 heaping tbsp in a steaming cup of about half heavy cream and half water. Make it to your taste and preference, and don't be afraid to tip a little flavored extract (or flavored MCT powder) into your cup.
This is one of the rare recipes on the site that uses volume ratios instead of weights. That's because this recipe works best that way!
For those who are avoiding dairy, feel free to use powdered coconut milk in place of the heavy cream. Be aware that will probably change the macronutrients info. Coconut milk has more natural sugar in it than heavy cream, so expect a higher carb count per tbsp mix with this substitution.
Per tbsp dry mix: 25 cal, 0.7 g protein, 3.7 g fat, 5.2 g carbs, 0.7 g fiber, 3.8 g sugar alcohol, 0.7 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp mix
- Calories: 25 cal
- Fat: 3.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.2 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Sugar: 0
- Sugar Alcohols: 3.8 g
- Net Carbs [total carbs - (fiber + sugar alcohol)] : 0.7 g
- Protein: 0.7 g